Monday, September 24, 2012

Friends Helping Friends

Last Friday night was my monthly get together with an awesome group of ladies who know exactly what it’s like living with and raising a child /children on the autism spectrum. Just like the FB page it’s great to have people to laugh and share with, and more importantly get another perspective on what someone may be going through.
A friend was bringing her son with her and I was more than happy to have him come and hang out with Josh. However, he is 4 years younger and not very verbal. Not a problem…  Josh and I spoke about how the little boy has autism too, but he may not answer back when spoken to. Josh replied “That’s alright mommy I remember learning about the different kinds of autism. Remember we watched a video about it?” I love when he remembers important information like that!
Personally I think it’s extremely important for kids on the spectrum to know their diagnosis and to understand it the best they can. Since eight years old Josh has know he has something called aspergers/autism. He didn’t know what that was but by just introducing these words to him was a start. As the years go by he becomes more aware and is able to comprehend more on this subject and how it pertains to him. As he learns more about this disorder he also learns, and understands, that some things like obsessions are out of his control. He no longer blames himself or calls himself stupid for seeing the world differently. He understands it’s the disorder not him… His brain is wired differently. He gets that.
It was great to watch him in action with this little boy too. He was able to put aside what he really wanted to do, play Xbox, and instead he kept the little boy occupied. Not a hard thing to do since the young man has just discovered Lego’s and we have LOADS of them in the play room. That, with a Toy Story movie marathon running in the background He was all set! It was a very proud moment for me. Just watching him put aside his obsessions/preoccupations to help another, younger child with autism, showed me how much he is growing up and understands! J
I’m beginning to realize the importance of those on the spectrum, especially a high functioning autistic like Josh, becoming well educated on all the autism spectrum disorders. And as Josh’s mom I take educating him on this a very serious responsibility. Being well informed will not only allow him to continue on through life as his own best advocate, but he will hopefully be quick to stand up and advocate for another on the spectrum who may be having a harder time finding his/her voice to do so themselves.
At the end of the evening, when all was quiet, I noticed Josh stimming quite a bit. Running up and down the hall and humming mostly. I tried to get him to go to bed but he said, “I’ve been thinking about Xbox all night and I can’t go to sleep until I finish thinking through the next level of my video game.” He also said, “I really liked playing with the little boy tonight. It was a lot of hard work though! He didn’t talk that much but somehow I think I knew what he wanted to do. It sure is hard watching after a kid with autism!” He seriously said that, and thanks for noticing buddy!!!
About an hour or so later he was FINALLY asleep! Not much rest though; up at 6:00 a.m. ready to begin the new level of that Xbox game he had been obsessing about the night before. And so began another “typical” Saturday in our house…
 
Thanks again for giving me a moment of your time,
Ann

 

1 comment: