Sunday, December 29, 2013

First Rule Of Autism...TALK About Autism!

As time goes by I am often reminded of one of the best decisions we ever made as parents of a child with Autism. That decision...to always talk about Autism with Josh. To always keep our dear professor informed, and educated, about his diagnosis of Aspergers. Knowledge is power and as an empowered self advocate there will be no stopping him! Not just educating him about his Autism Spectrum Disorder, but making sure he realized what a large spectrum it is... NO two people with Autism are alike. I'm sure you've heard the saying, if you've met one person with Autism then you've met one person with Autism. Lesson number one...truer words were never spoken!

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but just to recap...
From the moment we received that "official" diagnosis in 2008 the subject of Autism was introduced to Josh Immediately. First they were just words without much meaning to him at all. Soon, as time went by, the meanings would become clear to him. So clear in fact that he now feels obligated to try to help those on the the spectrum with more severe forms of Autism by spreading awareness and acceptance. Not just at home but in his community as well. "I think it's important for me to help people with Autism who can't talk. I may have some idea of what they are thinking." ~ Josh
BTW, his favorite book on the subject... All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Kathy Hoopmann (I highly recommend it).

A lot has happened since 2008... He's gone from being diagnosed with PDD NOS to Aspergers in 2010. Then in 2013, under the new guidelines laid out in the DSM-5, he falls under the new category of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). That's a lot to digest...The education of Autism will never end, I too am always learning!

It makes me so proud to see him in action. He takes great pleasure in doing walks for Autism, raising money and awareness for those in need. During his school's annual "Light It Up Blue" day he enjoys sharing what he has learned with others. Continuing to pass along all the valuable lessons he is learning along the way. I consider it a privilege to have a front row seat to his "sharpening" those self advocacy skills he is sure to need in the near future.

Why am I writing about this now? Well... While at a friends house yesterday Josh was playing with this friend on his new Wii U. His friend was excited to play with him, but Josh was also interested in the usual XBOX 360. Although we spoke about doing what others like to do as well, he still gets "stuck" on what he wants to do. This little boy he was with is so amazing. He told his mom that it was okay, and that he understood why Josh wanted to play something else. You see... this fine young man knows about Josh's Autism. How?!? Josh told him! WOW! I was thrilled that he spoke up for himself...and proud that it led this boy to ask his mom, "what is Autism?" And from there a discussion took place, making one more individual Autism aware. My boy...changing the world and he doesn't even know it. He's a natural at it!!!

When a parent asks me, "how did you tell Josh about his diagnosis?" I remind them of the first rule of Autism...TALK about Autism. Start off small and as they get older, and can understand more, share more. Before you know it you too will have a thirteen year old self advocate teaching you a thing or two!

~Ann~




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, by the way I also LOVE All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome and so does my daughter who has Aspergers. As a mother of a daughter on the spectrum I completely agree that it is important to talk about autism and how it effects everything. Parents can be powerful advocates for change . One example is the website www.asd-dr.com. I created this website because there was too much information online and none of it was telling me which therapists and services were the best ones in the area. I found out by word of mouth. I wanted to provide a place where parents with a new diagnosis could go to find out what they didn't know in a way that wasn't so overwhelming. Keep talking about autism - it really does help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment and I will be sure to check out your website as well... Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete